USA Sports by Troy Barbell 300 lb. Olympic Grey Weight Set
|Troy Barbell Set 300 lbs|
Check Discounted Price
Weight: 45 lbs
|45-300 lbs||5 lbs|
|Barbell: 5 years
Plates: 10 years
Weight sets come in various shapes and sizes. However, if you’re looking for a classic, Olympic barbell set, with weights up to 300 lbs, USA Sports has you covered. They currently offer several sets, but the Troy Barbell set that we’re going to cover here, is the 300 lbs one, with the 7′ / 2″ Olympic bar. Even though it’s a simple free weights set, there’s a lot to be said about it. Therefore, in this post we’ll try to offer as many details as possible with regards to all its features.
Technical Details and Specifications
- Barbell length: 7′ (213 cm)
- Barbell (sleeve) diameter: 2″ (5.0 cm)
- Barbell weight: 45 lbs (20.4 kg)
- Barbell weight capacity: 600 lbs (272.1 kg)
- Included weight plates:
- 2 x 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg)
- 4 x 5.0 lbs (2.2 kg)
- 2 x 10 lbs (4.5 kg)
- 2 x 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
- 2 x 35 lbs (15.8 kg)
- 2 x 45 lbs (20.4 kg)
- Warranty: Barbell 5 years / Weight plates 10 years
The barbell supplied with this Troy weights set is made of solid steel, with chrome coating, featuring a knurled finish. It’s a standard 7′ (2.13 m) Olympic barbell, with 2″ (5.0 cm) sleeves, compatible with weight plates with 2″ (5.0 cm) holes. The weight of the bar itself, without any weights is 45 lbs (20.4 kg).
The set includes weight plates with a total weight of 255 lbs. However, the barbell is rated for 600 lbs (272.1 kg). Since it’s a solid steel bar not a hollow one, even with this weight, it shouldn’t bend, and supply full functionality. This being said, it’s pretty obvious that the set is upgradable. You can purchase extra weight plates later on, if you’ll make progress and desire a superior challenge.
The sleeves of the bar are simple, not threaded. The plates lock onto the bar via EZ-On Spring Collars which are supplied with the set.
The weight plates supplied with the set feature a gray enamel finish, pretty durable, which shouldn’t come off unless the plates are frequently dropped on a hard surface. The plates are also Olympic, 2″ (5 cm) standard ones. They feature milled edges in order to facilitate loading and handling. Evidently, each plate has its weight marked both in pounds and kilograms, for an easy selection.
Adjustment system and increments
Since it’s a barbell set, the adjustment system is classic. However, the locking of the plates onto the bar is done via spring collars not threaded collars, such as for the CAP barbell sets. These springs are easy to remove and re-lock.
The set includes the following weight plates: 2 x 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg), 4 x 5.0 lbs (2.2 kg), 2 x 10 lbs (4.5 kg), 2 x 25 lbs (11.3 kg), 2 x 35 lbs (15.8 kg), 2 x 45 lbs (20.4 kg). The bar itself weighs 45 lbs. Thus, the starter weight is 45 lbs, while adjustment increments are 5, 10, 20, 50, 70, 90 lbs. (2.2, 4.5, 9.0, 22.6, 31.7, 40.8 kg). Evidently, if you opt for extra plates of various weights, you can add some diversity on the possible weights of the barbell.
- Sturdy set, featuring a solid steel barbell, which can support up to 600 lbs (272.1 kg);
- Olympic standard 2″ diameter sleeves, compatible with various types of Olympic weight plates with the same specs;
- Multiple weight increments available;
- Classic, durable cast iron weight plates, without any fragile plastic inserts, with gray enamel finish;
- Classic, collar spring locking system, basically impossible to fail;
- Weight range from 45 to 300 lbs, perfect for beginner and intermediate users;
- They basically cover the complete range of exercises that can be achieved with barbells.
- The knurled finish on the barbell may be considered abrasive by some users. However, workout gloves solve this problem.
This Troy barbell set offers beginner and intermediate training possibilities. However, even heavy lifters can find it just as useful with the included weight plates, at least for several types of exercises. On top of that, the set is upgradable, the bar being able to hold up to 600 lbs. Thus can always acquire new weight plates if you want more of a challenge. It’s a sturdy, classic barbell set, with cast iron plates and solid steel bar, which with proper use, should last for many years. And finally, even though it’s not the most affordable free weight set, it does offer standard, Olympic quality, which matches its price.