Bowflex Revolution Home Gym
Check Discounted Price
|5 lbs||10 years|
Although the Bowflex Revolution home gym has been around for several years, to this day it continues to benefit from 5-star reviews from users all over the world. That’s simply because it offers superlative quality, exceptional versatility, and commercial grade sturdiness. It’s quite different from other weight training machines, even from the other Bowflex units, such as Bowflex Xtreme or Bowflex PR3000. It uses an innovative resistance system, based on elastic straps and coils.
Technical Details and Specifications
- Assembled dimensions: 112L x 37.8W x 73H inches (284L x 98W x 186H cm)
- Assembled weight: 336.2 lbs (152.5 kg)
- Max. user weight: 300 lbs (136 kg)
- Resistance system: SpiraFlex®
- Standard weight resistance: 220 lbs (100 kg)
- Possible exercises: 100+
- Warranty: 10 years
Frame construction, parts, and accessories
The Bowflex Revolution features quite a heavy steel frame, with an assembled weight of 336.2 lbs (152.5 kg), a weight that is reflected into its overall stability and sturdiness. On the other hand, handling the machine once is assembled is not exactly easy. However, this stands for just about any other home gym system. But as opposed to other home gym machines, this Bowflex model does feature a set of transport wheels on its base platform. Its frame is also foldable, the main bar that holds the bench and the seat folds up.
The machine is fairly large, with an assembled footprint of 112″L x 38″ (284 x 98 cm), and also requires a usage space of 120″ x 84″ (305 x 213 cm), for safe operation. However, with the seat bar folded up, its length is reduced to 55″ (140 cm). The arms of the machine have 10 adjustment positions, and having them setup in the top position, the machine’s height reaches 73″ (186 cm). These being said, the machine can accommodate comfortably even users above 6’5″ (195 cm), for all exercises. Also, the seat assembly and the middle structure of the machine are rated for a maximum of 300 lbs (136 kg) of user weight.
The arms of the machine are equipped with a set of pulleys which can swivel 360°. All the integrated pulleys are made of heavy-duty nylon material. They all integrate industrial grade, sealed ball bearing, for smooth operation and a long lifespan. The cables are steel ropes, tested for over 2,000 lbs, each cable featuring a sheet of PVC material to deliver a smooth glide.
The Bowflex Revolution is equipped with a multi-function bench with two main positions for its large backrest: 180° and 45°. The seat can lock onto its sustaining bar in several positions. However, the seat’s frame also integrates a set of wheels and can glide onto its rail, in order to offer the possibility to perform rowing exercises. Both the seat and backrest feature a highly durable upholstery, made of synthetic leather. They also have 2″ inches of foam padding, delivering optimal comfort for all exercises.
Along with the large bench backrest, a smaller one is also included. This smaller backrest attaches on the opposite side of the large one and is designed to provide support for leg press exercises. Naturally, a leg press plate is also included.
When it comes to additional accessories, this Bowflex machine does come with several. Although the leg developer attachment and the preacher curl attachment weren’t included with the machine at first, they are now. The preacher curl attachment has 5 height adjustment positions and features padding and upholstery similar to the seat and backrest. The leg developer also has generously padded rollers and supports, providing optimal comfort for all exercises.
Two handle grips and two foot-harnesses are also included. The hand grips contain two D-rings, allowing to adjust the length on their straps, in order to adapt them perfectly to your arm length. The foot harnesses are used for several types of leg exercises. The foot harnesses contain attachment rings on multiple sides.
The Bowflex Revolution home gym is equipped with the SpiraFlex® resistance system, which consists of two resistance packs, one on each side. Each pack integrates a heavy-duty elastic strap, which tightens around a coil as the resistance discs rotate when the cables are pulled.
This Bowflex home gym comes with 4 sets of weight discs, which offer adjustment possibilities of 5, 10, 20 and 40 lbs (2.2, 4.5, 9.0, 18.1 kg). These weight resistance discs, although similar to dumbbell weight plates, they only weigh a few pounds each. But assembled into the machine’s resistance system, they modify the resistance of the springs, enabling it to generate the indicated amount of resistance on each one of them.
You can combine these discs in various ways, in order to benefit from different weight resistance increments. For example, you can add the 40 lbs and the 5 lbs discs on each side of the machine, in order to benefit from 45 lbs of weight resistance for each arm. You can also create an off-set weight if you want. In other words, you can load one side with the 40 lbs disc, and the other with the 40 and 10 lbs discs, to get more weight resistance on one side.
Resistance is easy to adjust. You simply have to place each plate on its shaft, matching the holes and rotate them to lock in place. It takes less than a minute to change resistance. Plus, you won’t have to handle heavy loads when you adjust resistance, as the discs are not as heavy as traditional weight plates. Therefore, the machine is great for workout routines that involve different weights.
The total resistance that the machine can provide with the included weight discs, is 220 lbs (100 kg), with 110 lbs (50 kg) on each side. However, the weight disc set is upgradable to a total of 300 lbs (136 kg).
The Bowflex Revolution home gym system offers the possibility to perform more than 100 gym quality exercises, with many variations. On the list of included exercises, you can mention:
- Triceps Pushdown
- French Press
- Standing French Press
- Lying Triceps Press
- Lying 45° Triceps Extension
- Cross Triceps Extension
- Rope Pushdowns
- Standing Hammer Grip Curls
- Standing Biceps Curl
- Seated Biceps Curl
- Preacher Curl
- Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdown
- Tricep Kickback
- Reverse Curl
- Lying Biceps Curl
- Seated Wrist Extension
- Standing Wrist Curls
- Standing Wrist Extension
- Seated Wrist Curl
- Standing Trunk Rotation
- Trunk Rotation
- Standing Oblique Crunch
- Kneeling “Wood Chop”
- Kneeling Low to High Trunk Rotation
- Reverse Crunch
- Seated Abdominal Crunch
- Seated Oblique Abdominal Crunch
- Standing Wide Angle Lat Row
- Narrow Pulldowns with Hand Grips
- Seated Lat Rows
- Lying Lat Fly
- Stiff Arm Pulldown
- Standing Lat Row High Pulley
- Standing Lat Row Low Pulley
- Standing Lat Row Alternating Motion-Low Pulley
- Standing Single Arm Lat Row Low Pulley
- Standing Single Arm/ Single Leg Lat Row Low Pulley
- Seated Low Back Extension
- Standing Low Back Extension
- Lying Shoulder Pullover
- Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown
- Wide Pulldowns
- Bench Press
- Chest Fly
- Resisted Punch
- Lying Cable Crossover
- Decline Chest Fly
- Incline Chest Fly
- Standing Chest Press
- Standing Chest Press w/ Alternating Shoulder Movement
- Incline Chest Press
- Standing Incline Chest Press
- Standing Incline Chest Press w/ Alternating Motion
- Decline Chest Press
- Standing Decline Chest Press
- Standing Decline Chest Press w/ Alternating Motion
- Standing Chest Fly
- Standing Single Arm Chest Fly
- Standing Incline Chest Fly
- Standing Decline Chest Fly
- Leg Extension
- Prone Leg Curls
- Lying Leg Extension
- Standing Hip Flexion w/ Knee Flexion
- Standing Leg Kickback
- Standing Hip Extension
- Ankle Eversion
- Ankle Inversion
- Calf Raise
- Dorsi Flexion
- Hip Abduction
- Hip Adduction
- Standing Hip Flexion
- Standing Hip Internal Rotation
- Standing Hip External Rotation
- Lying Hip Internal Rotation
- Leg Press
- Rear Deltoid Rows
- Standing Lateral Shoulder Raise
- Seated Shoulder Press
- Standing Shoulder Press w/ Alternating Motion
- Standing Shoulder Press
- Front Shoulder Raise
- Standing Front Shoulder Raise
- Shoulder Extension
- Shoulder Shrug
- Scapular Protraction
- Scapular Retraction
- Scapular Depression
- Lying Front Shoulder Raise
- Reverse Fly Cable Cross
- Seated Lateral Shoulder Raise
- Standing Rear Deltoid Row
- Standing Cablecross Rear Deltoid Row
- Standing Shoulder Extension
- Shoulder Internal Rotation w/ Full Shoulder Adduction
- Shoulder Internal Rotation w/ 90° of Abduction
- Shoulder External Rotation w/ 90° of Abduction
- Shoulder External Rotation w/ Full Shoulder Adduction
Evidently, this list contains less than 100 exercises, but each exercise has at least a few variations.
Assembly and Maintenance
The body of the machine comes pre-assembled from the factory. However, there still are several parts that require assembly. Thus the process will take at least two hours. However, the assembly is far from being complicated. The included manual has clear step-by-step assembly instructions. The Allen wrenches required for assembly are also included, but you’ll need your own adjustable wrench.
As a general idea, for assembly you’ll have to attach the base plate and base tubes to the main body, the top cover, the shaft for the resistance plates, the pre-tension discs, rails, rowing footplates, seat, four bar assembly, and of course, the preacher pad, leg developer, leg press plate and small backrest, if you’re going to use them in your exercising routines.
Maintenance doesn’t require much. All you have to do on this matter is periodically inspect the machine for loose bolts and nuts, and check for any signs of damage in order to replace the potentially damaged parts before accidents occur.
- Sturdy and stable frame, with most parts made of steel;
- Beautiful design, which can be quite a motivation factor;
- Extremely durable pulleys, with sealed bearings for a prolonged lifespan;
- Durable upholstery on seat and backrest, with 2″ cushioning for maximum comfort;
- Leg developer included;
- Preacher curl pad included;
- Leg press plate included;
- Two position bench – 180° and 45°;
- Gliding seat, offering the possibility to perform full-motion rows and leg presses;
- 4″ cushioned rollers for the leg attachment;
- Handle grips and foot harnesses included;
- Innovative SpiraFlex® weight resistance system, no traditional cast iron weight plates required;
- Weight adjustment can be done quickly, without the hassle of handling heavy weight plates;
- Up to 110 lbs of resistance per side, 220 lbs in total;
- Upgrade possibilities to up to 300 lbs of total weight;
- Over 100 exercises available;
- User’s manual offers precise instructions on how to perform correctly a wide array of exercises;
- Straightforward assembly;
- Quiet operation;
- Excellent warranty.
- The machine does not offer the possibility to perform standard deadlifts or squats. So, in order to work those muscles, you will have to perform different exercises.
- May not be the best choice for powerlifters, who may require weights higher than 110 lbs per arm;
Although the Bowflex Revolution is labeled as a “home gym” machine, the quality in its components and overall construction are equal to gym grade equipment. It’s a highly versatile home gym system, offering the possibility to perform more than 100 exercises. It uses the Bowflex SpiraFlex® resistance system, which does not involve heavy, traditional weight plates. It may not be the best choice for powerlifters or professional body-builders, but even pros can perform a wide array of quality exercises on it. Finally, it’s not exactly a cheap machine, but due to its quality, versatility, included accessories, and overall sturdiness, it definitely stands up to its price.