XMark Adjustable Dumbbells 50 lbs Set
|XMark Fitness XM-3307-2|
Check Discounted Price
|10-50 lbs||10 lbs|
XMark Fitness offers several types of free weights, including adjustable dumbbells. These dumbbells are available in various forms. For example, there are 25 lbs and 50 lbs dumbbells, sold as one or as a set. In this review we’ll address the 50 lbs set of two. In other words, the item number XM-3307-2.
The 50 lbs XMark adjustable dumbbells are pretty similar to the Bayou Fitness 50 lbs dumbbells. In fact, they feature the same weight range and the same dimensions. The adjustment system differs a little bit though.
Technical Details and Specifications
- Dimensions: 15.75L x 8W x 9H inches (40L x 20.3W x 22.8H cm) (each)
- Weight range: 10 to 50 lbs (4.5 to 22.6 kg) (each)
- Weight increments: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 lbs (each)
- Accessories: Storage trays
- Warranty: 1 year
As you can see in the attached photos, the weight plates and the main axle of these dumbbells are made of metal, without any plastic covers or insertions. Their construction does include several heavy-duty plastic parts though, but these have more of a cosmetic role, than a safety or sustaining role. Both the plates and handles feature quite a durable chrome finish, which keeps rust away, and of course, renders these weights quite sleek.
The internal parts of the dumbbells, the ones involved within the adjustment system and the locking of the plates on the handles, are also metallic. However, even though these parts are not made of plastic, they’re still not rock-solid. In other words, if you repeatedly drop the dumbbells, the internal parts may bend, or sustain damage, which can lead to adjustment problems. Also, just as for most adjustable dumbbells, push-ups or any exercises that put a lot of pressure on the internal parts, are not recommended. However, the overall construction of these dumbbells is quite sturdy. With proper care, they can last a lifetime.
The handles don’t have a rubberized surface, but they still offer the required comfort. They feature partial knurling to supply a superior grip, but without being too abrasive to the hands.
The handles are 15.75″ (40 cm) long, while the widest weight plates feature a maximum width of 8″ (20.3 cm). Differently put, they’re approx. 2 inches longer and a bit bulkier than the classic 50 lbs hex weights. But nonetheless, their size shouldn’t be a problem for just about any exercise that can be achieved with dumbbells.
Adjustment system and increments
As we’ve mentioned above, the internal parts involved in the adjustment system of these dumbbells are made of metallic alloy, being pretty sturdy. The cap of the adjustment pin, as well as the top cover of the plates with the engraved weight increments, are made of heavy-duty plastic. In order to adjust weight, you simply pull up the pin on each side of the dumbbell, move it to the desired weight setting, and lock it in place.
Weight adjustment is independent for each side of the plate. In other words, you can have an off-set weight for each dumbbell if you want. For example, you can select 20 lbs on one side, and 30 lbs on the other. This way, the handle will pick up one plate the first side, and two on the other, with a total weight of the dumbbell of 25 lbs (11.3 kg).
The plates weigh 5 lbs (2.26 kg) each, while the handle has a weight of 10 lbs (4.5 kg). So, the starting weight for each dumbbell is 10 lbs (4.5 kg), and the adjustment increments for an even weight of each dumbbell, are 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 lbs (4.5, 9.0, 13.6, 18.1, 22.6 kg). Nonetheless, you can have 5 lbs adjustment increments, but this requires to select uneven weights for your dumbbells. However, this may actually be a plus, if you want a superior workout for the forearm muscles, during various types of curls, for example.
The only accessories supplied with the XMark 50 lbs dumbbell set are the storage trays. Documentation and warranty information is also supplied with the box though.
The trays are made of heavy-duty plastic and shouldn’t crack or break if you place the weights on them carefully. They feature handles underneath, making it easier to pick them up and transport them with the weights on top.
- Space-savvy. One set of two dumbbells, can basically replace 10 non-adjustable ones, or 18, if you consider the off-set adjustment possibilities;
- Sturdy, steel-made adjustment and sustaining internal parts;
- Durable steel weight plates, not plastic composite which may crack;
- Sleek design, shiny chrome finish, which can be quite a motivation factor;
- Versatile, offering the possibility to quickly adjust weight in order to alternate exercises, great for workout programs such as P90X;
- Weight range between 10 and 50 lbs, perfect for beginners and intermediate users;
- They cover more than 30 types of exercises;
- Non-slip, yet non-abrasive handle, offering a comfortable grip;
- Storage craddles included;
- Excellent warranty for a dumbbell set.
- Larger than regular dumbbells, especially when considering the lower weight settings. For example, the 10 lbs setting (the handle with no plates) is quite large, compared with a 10 lbs hex dumbbell;
- Not too many adjustment increments. Some users may want, 2.5 lbs increments for example, aspect that cannot be achieved with these dumbbells.
The XMark 50 lbs adjustable dumbbells are an excellent choice for beginners and intermediate users. They feature a sturdy construction, involving steel weight plates and handles, and also steel internal parts. They’re great for exercise programs that involve dumbbells of various weights, such as P90X for example. They’re space-savvy, versatile, and come with an excellent price / quality ratio.