CAP Barbell Regular Grey 110-Pound Weight Set
|Troy Barbell Set 300 lbs|
Check Discounted Price
Weight: 15 lbs
Weight: 5 lbs
Threaded sleeves and collars
|5-110 lbs||2.5 lbs|
If you’re looking for an affordable barbell / dumbbell set, CAP is one brand name to put on your list. They actually offer several sets, but the highest rated is the 110 lbs one. That’s because this set is upgradable, most users choose it as a starter pack, and upgrade it later on.
Even though this CAP barbell set is a simple, classic one, without any fancy adjustment system, such as the one on the PowerPak 445 adjustable dumbbells for example, there’s still a lot to be said about all its elements. Therefore, in this post we’ll try to cover each and every aspect in detail.
Technical Details and Specifications
- Barbell length: 5′ (152.4 cm)
- Barbell diameter: 1″ (2.5 cm)
- Barbell weight: 15 lbs (6.8 kg)
- Barbell max. weight capacity: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)
- Dumbbell handle length: 14″ (35.5 cm)
- Dumbbell handle diameter: 1″ (2.5 cm)
- Dumbbell handle weight: 5 lbs (2.2 kg)
- Included weight plates:
- 6 x 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg)
- 6 x 5.0 lbs (2.2 kg)
- 4 x 10 lbs (4.5 kg)
- Warranty: 30 days
The first aspect to be clarified here regards the composition of this set. This CAP barbell set includes 1 barbell and 2 dumbbell handles, along with the 16 weight plates (weights specified above), 6 threaded collars and 6 rubber rings for keeping the weight plates on the bars secured.
The barbell and dumbbell handles are the classic standard type, threaded, and made of solid steel. This is quite an important aspect especially for the barbell, as a hollow one may not be able to hold a lot of weight. This barbell being made of solid steel is also heavier, and can actually hold 200 lbs. Both types of bars feature a chrome finish.
Evidently, since both types of bars are 1″ in diameter, you can use various other standard weight plates, designed for this type of bars, whether they’re from CAP or not. But as a general idea, the set is upgradable. You can order extra plates if you want. As we’ve mentioned above, the barbell is rated to withstand plates up to 200 lbs. And when it comes to the dumbbell bars, you can actually fit 4 x 10 lbs (4.5) plates on each end, and there will still remain 3/8″ to spare after tightening the collars.
The barbell has a knurled finish, in order to provide superior adherence during exercises. On the other hand, the dumbbell handles feature rubberized grips, for more comfort.
The weight plates are also pretty standard, with 1″ holes. They’re 100% cast iron, without any plastic parts on them. They feature a gray paint finish, which doesn’t stain hands or clothing. The finish itself is also pretty durable. It shouldn’t chip or peel off if you don’t thow or drop the weights.
Adjustment system and increments
As we’ve mentioned above, the adjustment system for these free weights is a classic one, including a set of two collars for each bar. You will also get a set of two rubber rings for each bar, meant to keep the weight plates well-tightened on the bars. These being said, weight adjustment may take a bit of time. However, it shouldn’t take longer than one minute for a dumbbell and up to two minutes for the barbell. Also, just to make it clear, a bench is not included with this set.
As we’ve mentioned above, the set includes 16 weight plates, 6 x 2.5 lbs, 6 x 5 lbs and 4 x 10 lbs. In other words, the total weight is 85 lbs. As you can see, the possible weight adjustment increments are 2.5, 5 and 10 lbs, with the given weight plates. However, there are heavier CAP weight plates available, such as 25 lbs (11.3 kg) for example.
- Versatile weights, offering the possibility to use multiple weight combinations in order to alternate exercises;
- Classic, cast iron weight plates, with gray paint finish;
- Standard 1″ diameter bars, compatible with various types of weight plates with the same specs, not just from CAP;
- Solid steel barbell, which can support up to 200 lbs (90 kg);
- Classic, collar locking system, basically impossible to fail and cause injuries due to falling of the weight plates;
- Space-savvy. You don’t need a whole rack for them. You can simply put all the plates on the bars.
- Weight range from 5 to 110 lbs, perfect for beginner and intermediate users;
- They basically cover the complete range of exercises that can be achieved with dumbbells and barbells.
- The knurled finish on the barbell may be considered abrasive by some users. However, workout gloves solve this problem;
- Classic adjustment system, which may be considered a hassle by some users.
This CAP barbell set offers an excellent free weights starter pack for anyone who wants to workout at home. It basically covers the complete range of exercises that can be carried out with this types of weights. It’s simple, versatile, upgradable, space-savvy and affordable, these being the main reasons it has received mostly 5-star ratings on most websites. All in all, it’s a barbell / dumbbell set with an excellent price / quality ratio.